Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Time Management

After spending the last week with my oldest son at College Orientation... (let's just say... MY BED at home is comfy... Dorm beds are like BRICKS) aside from the obvious, one thing that rings true are the facts of time management.

The instructors were trying to drive home the facts about college being a FULL TIME job, which it is, but LIFE is a full time job too, and it's what we do with our time that helps us accomplish our health goals. So, lets put some facts out there and see how well we're managing our time.


168 HOURS in a WEEK...
56 Hours (sleep 7days x 8 hours)
55 Hours (full time job 5 days x 8 hours plus travel time)
10 Hours (errands)
7 Hours (cleaning)
8 Hours (children / carpool) Total of 19 Hours left unaccounted for in a week.
10 Hours (cooking / clean up) What are your excuses????
3 Hours (church)
?? Showering, eating, exercising


Just how busy are you? Are you so busy you've begun relying on excuses? I'm trying NOT to cheat myself out of my goals by allowing my excuses to take priority. What are your excuses? Do you have time to exercise? Do you have time to meditate? Are you putting YOUR priorities in order? Are you taking the time for yourself or do you put everyone else first?

Something I've done in the past is mapped out my weekly schedule, I even color coded it to make sure I had balance in my life. You might find it valuable to just give it a try. Here's a key to help you process your week.
BLUE = Prayer Time / Devotional ~ Church
PINK
= Family/ Free Time
GREEN
= Job - School
ORANGE
= Exercise
RED
= Date Night
YELLOW
= Cleaning/ Errands… etc
PURPLE
= Anything Special to You

Don't have a week-at-a-glance? Well, you can make one. It's a simple table with 7 columns across and as many hour blocks down for rows as you wish, you can do it by the hour or by the half hour. Remember, this is YOUR day. My day starts at 5 and usually ends at 10 or 11 pm.

In my experience on the journey of healthy choices, I have discovered that eating at the same time everyday is beneficial to my body and making exercise a part of my daily routine has helped me feel better about myself. Even if your daily exercise is a walk to the mailbox or around the block, getting your body moving is a healthy choice.

I want to encourage you to look at your "busy" life and see how balance your day is. Be encouraged today. Have faith in yourself and PUSH through the challenges of life. Do you know the acronym for PUSH? Pray Until Something Happens!

You CAN reach your health goals. Together, WE CAN DO IT!!

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment